Friday, December 13, 2013

Roots, Reality, and Redemption-The Root of Self-loathing

No one is born self-loathing themselves. This pattern of behavior has to be learned somewhere. As a child I came up with all sorts of reasons to despise myself for being unlovable.

My childhoods tender conscience was shattered by an immense burden of false guilt. I was sworn to secrecy so my emotions had to stay bottled up. My parents rejection, abuse, and hurtful words affected how I thought about God and about myself. I grew up convinced that I would never be good enough to live up to the standard I was taught. So I decided as a child I must have been bad. I was worthless and needed to be abused because I was so bad. As a child I couldn’t blame my parents, so I blamed myself. I used self-loathing to protect me from the brutal pain and shame of childhood; of always being found “less than”, “never good enough”, “not wanted”, “stupid”, etc. It was always better that I criticize myself and change my behavior before the real judges punished me.

I will never forget as a child I came home from grade school one day in tears because I was teased so bad about being ugly and my mom said it was not her fault I looked like my dad. What was I supposed to do with that response? As a child I took it to mean my mom thinks I’m ugly and is rejecting me too. I hated myself and felt worthless.

There were a list of rules to maintain and I had developed characteristic’s and behaviors that tried to live by these rules with the hope that my parents would have very little reason to shame and verbally abuse me. I was so plagued with shame that self-loathing became my constant companion and leaked into other aspects of my life. My desire to please, my need for acceptance, and my perfectionist tendencies. Sometimes it would show itself in depression, anxiety, and physical addictions.

My emotional pain dug very deep within my core. Layers from years of blame, guilt, and shame were locked within my soul. It was this relentless and vicious screaming monster that crippled and controlled my every waking hour constantly punishing, judging, and shaming me by impersonating the voices of my parents and the church with their harsh religious beliefs.

Self-loathing also affected me physically. My throat would get tight, my heart would start beating fast and a feeling of panic and anxiety started taking over my body. I would immediately think mean and dramatic thoughts about myself while I tried to quickly fix what I had done wrong this time. I felt ashamed and embarrassed because I thought everyone would see how awful I was.

Self-loathing was not just something I would grow out of as I became an adult. It had become one of my many defense strategies. I would “take control” of the situation by rejecting myself before anyone could (“You can’t hurt me near as much as I can hurt myself”). I wanted to avoid a sudden unexpected rejection (“your rejection has no effect on me because I already hate and reject myself “). Even after I married it was hard to believe that my husband could love someone as unlovable as me. And it caused several problems in our marriage. I was so imprisoned by a guilt-ridden cycle of self-loathing that I could view my self no other way than unforgiveable and hopeless.

I never saw myself as others did. My self image was so hardened that when people would say positive things about me I didn’t believe them. It would hardly register with me that kind words were even spoken because I believed I had no worth or value. I believed the lies about myself and Satan used this for his gain. Sefl-loathing is a treacherous scheme of Satan designed to destroy our relationship with the Good Shepherd and with others. I was powerless inside to be able to forgive myself and Satan used that against me.

I had to let the Good Shepherd help me break the bond of this unloving spirit otherwise it would remain with me for the rest of my life. I had to be willing to listen and accept what the Good Shepherd and others I trusted said about me. I needed to accept the Good Shepherds love and forgiveness and reject the LIE that the He saw me as unworthy, blemished, and rejected. The hurtful things that happened to me were not His will and it grieved His heart. I felt like garbage growing up, but He wanted me to see I was never garbage in His eyes. I was unable to appreciate the Good Shepherd’s love for me. He taught me that His love and acceptance of me was not based on my performance rating. It was based on His love for me by dying on the cross for my sins. Romans 8:38(NLV) says: For I know that nothing can keep us from the love of God. Death cannot! Life cannot! Angels cannot! Leaders cannot! Any other power cannot! Hard things now or in the future cannot! The Good Shepherd was shaking my belief system to weed out the lies and misconceptions I had been taught about God and Himself. I had to stop condemning myself and stop believing that God was condemning me.

As the Good Shepherd starting healing the place where this root had been, I started to uncover my feelings of kindness, compassion, caring, and gentleness. I found out I did have the ability to love and to connect with others especially my own husband and children. The Good Shepherd showed me that just having that ability proved that I was not worthless and I was a good person!

In the security of the Good Shepherd’s arms I started to experience deliverance from rejection and self-loathing. I demanded that the stronghold of self-loathing be destroyed in the Good Shepherd’s name and I asked him to help me pull out this deep rooted inner hate I had for myself. His perfect love broke the bondage of my self-loathing and I received His grace to just let myself BE…a stumbling child that just needed to be loved and held in the safety of His arms. While holding me He whispered, “I am here. I have always been here. I am your strength. I am the gentle whisper that tells you its ok and you are loved. I believe in your worth and you are beautiful.”

There is no one on this earth who will pay more attention to or care for you more than the Good Shepherd. I still have days when disappointments come but I am learning how to deal with life differently with the Good Shepherds insights and understandings. Sometimes, I still catch myself using negative thoughts when I make a mistake. What I have discovered about the Good Shepherd is that His love is not based on my performance. His acceptance of me is not based on what I do. I don’t have it all together and I am still a work in progress. The re-wiring of my brain to think differently takes time and I need to be patient with myself. Healing from this is a spiritual and emotional process.

As I finish writing my final thoughts for this post I would like to share a couple of scriptures I came across the other day in my reading:

For if a man belongs to Christ, he is a new person. The old life is gone. New life has begun. 2 Corinthians 5:17(NLV)

He gives us everything we need for life and for holy living. He gives it through His great power. As we come to know Him better, we learn that He called us to share His own shining-greatness and perfect life.
2 Peter 1:3(NLV)

My prayer is to be a channel of healing for others as I continue to heal.
I feel in my heart the Good Shepherd saying, “Give others out there who are suffering the love I have shown you. Help them find me and help them find their worth.









No comments:

Post a Comment