Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Roots, Reality, and Redemption-The Root of Shame

Shame is more than just an awful feeling you get when you have done something wrong. It is hidden disgrace and humiliation. It often makes a person feel worthless, rejected, and cast out. It can make a person feel like a complete loser and an utter failure as a human being. It can cause massive destruction even to the point of death.

I learned at a young age that I was not wanted. Everything was my fault. My feelings didn’t count, and I was responsible for other peoples feelings. Shame’s deep roots left me with a sense of emptiness and a heaviness that pressed in on my spirit and dampened my appreciation for life. It had soaked in and discolored my feelings about everyone and everything. I truly believed that I was not loved because I was not loveable.  I stopped trusting my judgments, feelings and desires. Its roots were wrapped around my heart and every dimension of my soul was affected by its deadly poison.

When I was in the hospital for treatment, I was asked to write a letter to my mom telling her about my feelings of shame as a child. Not a blaming letter, but just how I felt. I remember I never got to finish reading the letter because she stood up and yelled at me all the way down the hallway to the elevator. I remember watching her get on that elevator and was so crushed inside that even though I was in the hospital I tried to end my life that night.

My shame insisted on being covered up so it could hide in secrecy and darkness. It would show itself as self-hatred and self-abuse.  Abuse of others with my rage (rage frightened those around me and did it’s job by keeping others away from me). It also showed itself as depression, perfectionism, addictions and compulsions. My shame was so painful and so debilitating that I had developed a thousand coping strategies to avoid its tortures. I used up my energy always being on guard because I feared that I would be exposed and everyone would see that I was a flawed and defective person.

Shame continually whispered, “You don’t fit in.” “They think you aren’t good enough.” “You’re a mistake”. “You’re worthless and no one will ever like you.” It’s voice replayed repeatedly in my mind like a broken record.  I would look in the mirror and hated everything about the person looking back! I was a bad person and I felt dirty, stupid, worthless, ugly and deformed.

Even after I married, I felt isolated and alone. I never really felt connected to my husband, because I had no connecting skills. It was hard to love and trust anyone. I was unable to feel any joy in my life and felt like a mechanical robot. I was always monitoring every one of my actions on the outside of my body making sure every detail of my behavior was carefully monitored for fear that my true heart might be exposed. I was at war within myself that caused extreme chaos. The feeling that I was damaged and different from other people, and the thought that I would never be whole left me with so much pain that at times it felt unbearable. All I could do was try to keep the pain I felt inside and never let it show on the outside.

When shame entered my heart as a child my real self became too painful to live with, so my false self began to form. I was spiritually broke so I was unable to accept my true identity as His child. The Good Shepherd was asking me to face my shame and then let it go, but I did not want to give up my mask and defenses. I did not want to become vulnerable and share my emotions with others!  

The Good Shepherd gently reminded me He had placed good people in my life that I could trust and it was time to lean on them and Him. I needed to come out of isolation and hiding. I was going to have to face my shame and feel the agonizing feelings that were connected to it to change the way I viewed myself.

In Hebrews 12:2, the Good Shepherd did not avoid suffering, but he rejected the shame. He did not accept the shame others were trying to put on him. He was being treated as a person with little or no value. But the message of shame, “you have little or no value,” was a lie and He refused to accept it.

In Matthew 21:18-20 the barren fig tree, with its nice façade but damaged roots was how I was controlled by my shame. I was unable to fulfill His purpose for my life. The Good Shepherd cursed the fig tree and it died from the roots up. This is how the Good Shepherd delt with my core of shame which had blocked my heart. He smiled at me and poured out healing, forgiveness and restoration on me so I could become an entirely new person in Him!

I started to discover my inner strength. I felt like I was starting to thaw out and feel again. It was a very slow and painful process, but my beliefs about myself slowly started to change. I learned I was not bad. I was loveable and acceptable. Unconditional love from others and the Good Shepherd helped me start to become whole and accept all the parts of myself.

There are far too many of us that feel dirty, worthless and ashamed of ourselves. We feel so unclean and unworthy that we think we could never approach the Good Shepherd. Satan does not want us to heal from our shame. He does not want us to have that intimate relationship the Good Shepherd is longing to have with us. None of us are ever “less than!” None of us are “unlovable”, “beyond repair”, or “worthless”! We are loved and adored by the Good Shepherd who wants to heal us. He wants to heal those memories, circumstances, and scars that are too hard to speak about. He wants to heal your broken places and make you whole.



No comments:

Post a Comment