Wednesday, January 01, 2014

A New Fresh Perspective

There is no difference between December 31st and January 1st. Nothing supernatural takes place at midnight on December 31st. But we form New Year’s Resolutions because there is a deep rooted desire in each of us to change for the better. As I watched the ball drop last night I thought about what does the New Year mean for me? What does the Good Shepherd want me to do, and what is my purpose in 2014? This year feels like it is stretched out before me like a new book with unturned pages of challenges, blessing, and difficulties and tests. I am facing this new year with a new fresh perspective.

My ability to make real and lasting changes in my life is limited, even when I have tried my hardest. So this year I am asking the Good Shepherd to help me experience the best life possible! As I enter this new year it brings to my mind the story of the Children of Israel as they prepared to enter into The Promised Land. After wandering in the wilderness for forty years, the land of Canaan was stretched out before them with new challenges and adventures, tests, and battles. It was new and they had to have a fresh perspective to face it. I want to have a fresh perspective to face what is before me in the coming year.

Moses told the Children of Israel the land would be a land of “hills and valleys.” I know for me there will be hills and not all my experiences I face will be on smooth or even terrain. I know this because I live in a world that is broken and has lost its moral compass. Whatever upward battles I may face this year I want to remember to turn my eyes on the Good Shepherd and put on his armor.

Be strong with the Lord’s strength. Put on the things God gives you to fight with. Then you will not fall into the traps of the devil. Our fight is not with people. It is against the leaders and the powers and the spirits of darkness in this world. It is against the demon world that works in the heavens. Because of this, put on all the things God gives you to fight with. Then you will be able to stand in that sinful day. When it is all over, you will still be standing. Ephesians 6:10-13NLV

I want to always be looking forward. I do not want to dwell on or worry about my past failures. But I also do not want to sit back and rest on my past accomplishments and I never want to reach a point when I think I do not need to grow. I want people to be able to see a difference in my life because I am walking with the Good Shepherd.

May we, in this new year, know ever more clearly that all of our lives are intertwined, that everybody counts, everybody matters. May it be a year where we recognize ourselves in one another, and bring together wholehearted aspiration and dedicated effort for the happiness and well being of all.  (Sharon Salzberg)





No comments:

Post a Comment