Thursday, February 20, 2014

He Is The Air I Breathe/I’m Lost Without Him

“God will never give you more than you can handle” is a phrase that most of us have heard at some point in our lives. Even though that phrase is meant to be an encouragement by people who have caring and concerned hearts, I do not believe it is true.

The Good Shepherd is not some meanie in the sky sitting in heaven trying to think of all the ways that suffering can be piled upon us and push us to the breaking point without going over the edge. What about the people who do break under the pressure? Are they weak? Did they not believe enough? Did they fail the Good Shepherd by breaking. Or did the Good Shepherd miscalculate what they could handle?

It really saddens my heart when I hear others in the midst of their pain and heavy burdens say the Good Shepherd has forsaken them or pulled the rug out from underneath them. Lately I have been reading over my journals that I kept while working on recovering from my past. My life had become so overwhelming. Everything was crumbling and my world had fallen apart. As I read the thoughts of anguish I had written down, I started thinking about the times people tried to reassure me by saying God would not give me more than I could handle. I also remembered I wanted to punch them square in the face!

It felt awful to be told that I should be able to bear all my problems otherwise the Good Shepherd would not have given them to me. It makes me think I am a bad person and a bad Christian. The Good Shepherd (who I was beginning to trust) would never allow this kind of suffering and pain to fall on someone who couldn’t bear it, so I am a failure because I cannot. I kept asking myself, “If I am supposed to handle this, then why can’t I handle it?”  Then I started trying to ignore my suffering and pretend it wasn’t there. Then I started thinking that I could handle it on my own, which then lead me to think “If I can handle anything that comes my way then why do I need the Good Shepherd at all?

Growing up in the church I have heard many sermons about God never giving you more than you can handle based on 1 Corinthians 10:13(NLT) which says:  The temptations in your life are not different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure. Paul is talking about temptation, not suffering. With temptation, we have a choice, but with suffering we don’t have a choice.

So, if I never get more than I can handle than why is life so hard for me? In the past I know some of it was having to live with the consequences of making wrong choices in my life, but other times it is just life. This week has been a struggle for me, I have spent most of it crying throughout the day and night. That old pattern of thinking came back and I started to feel like the Good Shepherd was a million miles away. I forgot what He has been teaching me. If I truly want to hear His voice loud and clear I needed to spend more time with Him, not just the time I had to spare, but the time I didn’t have to spare.

The Good Shepherd longs for us to depend on Him when we are feeling overwhelmed with life and burdened by more that we can handle. He wants us to spend time with Him so we can be filled with what we need to get through each day. When my load seems to heavy to carry, He is waiting for me to recognize that I could not handle it on my own. Matthew 11:28-30(NLT) says: Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.”

When I feel like I am drowning in life’s pains, trials, and heartaches, and it feels like more than I can bear, I need to remember to take a deep breath and know I can TRUST him enough to hand over my heavy crippling burdens and let Him carry the load. I need the Good Shepherd like I need the air that I breath. He is the only one who can make it bearable when life is anything but.

2 Corinthians 1:8-10(NLT) says: We were crushed and overwhelmed beyond our ability to endure, and we thought we would never live through it. In fact, we expected to die. But as a result, we stopped relying on ourselves and learned to rely only on God, who raises the dead. And he did rescue us from mortal danger, and he will rescue us again. We have placed our confidence in him, and he will continue to rescue us.

Today, if you are discouraged or depressed, look to the Good Shepherd, He is the one who will lift your head.

Today, if you are feeling like you can’t go one more step, look to the Good Shepherd. He is your strength and he will make your steps secure. Stay focused on Him and it will help you stay in the race.

Today, if you are emotionally, spiritually, or physically sick, look to the Good Shepherd. When He walked this earth He healed ALL those who were oppressed, sick, and diseased. He has not changed! He still heals!

Today, I want to remind you that the Good Shepherd came to this earth to destroy the works of Satan. You do not have to live in bondage. You don’t have to walk in darkness, because He is your light.

Just like the air I breathe He is always readily available to me with every inhale and with me at every moment of my life.




No comments:

Post a Comment